The 41st Infantry Division
Image Size: 15″ x 30″
620 Public Edition (Limited Edition, Signed and Numbered)
500 Military Edition Series (Limited Edition, Signed and Numbered)
280 Oregon National Guard Series (Limited Edition, Signed and Numbered)
100 Veterans Series (Limited Edition, Signed and Numbered)
50 Publisher Proof Edition (Limited Edition, Signed and Numbered)
50 Artist Proof Edition (Limited Edition, Signed and Numbered)
The 41st Infantry Division, composed of National Guard units from Oregon, Washington, Montana and Idaho, was ordered into federal service 16 September 1940. Originally assigned to Fort Lewis, Washington, it trained there until ordered overseas in early 1942. It was one of the first divisions to go overseas. Sailing from San Francisco, California in March 1942, it arrived in Australia in April. Training took place 60 miles north of Melbourne and after July in the tropical Rockhampton, Queensland.
The first unit to be ordered north, the 163rd Infantry Regiment arrived in New Guinea at Port Mores on 26 December 1942. The regiment was attached to the Australian 7th Division, helping to destroy the Japanese Forces along the Sananada Trail then moving into the Bunz-Gona area to close the Papuan Campaign. It was there that the 41st Division became known as the “Jungleers.” By the early part of February 1943, the Division was in New Guinea to stay for a long time.
The New Guinea Campaign took the Division through Salamaua, Aitape, Hollandia, Nassua Bay, Wadke-Arare-Toem to the Biak. In late 1944, the Philippine Islands were attacked. In February 1945, the 41st Division, now part of the 6th Army, invaded Palawan. The Division was active in the southern Philippines Campaign with participation in the battles of Basilan, Jolo and Mindinao. In September, the Division left Zamboango to take up occupation duties in Japan. In October, they moved into southern Honshu, as the occupational force. The 41st Division was deactivated in Japan on 31 December 1945.
ABOUT THE ARTIST
Although the initial focus of artist James Dietz’s career was aviation and World War I art, he has quickly become a premier talent in capturing military ground action from World War II to the present. His paintings are currently displayed in the 82nd Airborne Museum, the Armory Museum at Fort Know, and the 116th Infantry Museum. Other works are displayed at the Smithsonian Institution’s Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., the Seattle Museum of Flight, and the Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola, Florida.
Mr. Dietz was the 1997 “Best in Show” at the C.R. Smith Museum in Dallas, Texas for work depicting “Women in Aviation.” He was also the 1997 winner of the prestigious R.G. Smith Award from the National Naval Aviation Museum in Pensacola for contributions to the depiction of Naval Aviation. He has achieved three “Best in Show” Awards from the Experimental Aircraft Association; two gold medals from the Los Angeles Society of Illustrators; and was recognized in 1993 and 1994 by Flying Magazine with their “Best in Show” Award. He is a master of capturing mood, setting, machinery and people of the works he paints. Each event portrayed is meticulously researched to ensure accuracy and historical detail. The paintings of the National Guard Series include extensive reviews of the work by veterans who were there.
We offer fine custom wood framing using the latest conservation materials and techniques. Each print is triple matted using only acid free and high quality materials.